Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Music on the Brain

So last night I did something I NEVER do. While my hubby was making an amazing Valentine's meal I sat down on the couch and turned the TV on. The National News was on, not sure which one even but I'm so glad I turned it on when I did.

They were doing a story on the AZ state senator Gabrielle Gifford (this is not political so please read on). They were interviewing her Dr.'s and asked them what rehabilitation activities/exercises they were focusing on. Would you believe it if I told you the Doctor said "We're teaching her to sing." Yep!!! The interviewer asked why not speech first? The Dr said, ' Speech alone is isolated to the left brain, while music is in the right brain. So by using the power and effects of music to help her sing simple songs, even Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star or Old MacDonald she will use her right AND left brain. When we sing we are using speech (left brain) but we are also using our creative side of the right brain for rhythm and beat, as well as pitch and melody so it is a more integrated way to learn. Whenever we use both sides of the brain at the same time it produces new pathways and strengthens our power to learn. As well as singing a melody uses our memory recall and sequencing abilities at the same time."

I love music and the power it can have in a little ones' life! We are helping our kiddos so much by giving them the gift of music and challenging their little brains in such a complex, multi-level way of learning. But it's so fun and they love it!!! Even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment